Daddy with twins

Daddy with twins
Donovan and Hazel

Friday, September 19, 2014

The Good News

My plan is to do weekly posts, writing about my experience with twins as they happen.  But I have a lot to share about pregnancy through the first 10 weeks, so I am going into blog overdrive.  Think of it like a Netflix binge, trying to catch up on a show until you are current with the new airings on TV.  If you read my first post, you might be wondering what happened.  No you didn’t miss anything, that is called the classic cliffhanger.  However, you probably guessed what happened next.  If you didn’t read my first post, you might want to scroll down first (past my wife’s guest entry) and take a peek. 

With the surprised expression of the doctor, and the picture of the ultra-sound, we both knew it before she said anything.  “How would you like to be the parents of two babies?” Amy had told me several weeks earlier that she thought it was twins.  I told her she was wrong!  There was no way we were having twins. She just felt like she had a lot going on inside.  I guess she was right, just like always! 


I don’t remember much after that.  I do remember being in a mini-shock.  Not knowing what to think or feel.  It really didn’t feel real at all.  I remember seeing Amy look over at me with teary eyes, happy tears, and looking beautiful.  

What do you do after such exciting news?  You eat!  Amy wanted Chipotle of course.  What mommy wants, mommy gets!  Call me crazy, I am not a fan of Chipotle.  I don’t hate it, but would never choose to eat it.  I decided I wanted something of my choosing.  So for the first time in history, someone brought alternate food into Chipotle.  My choice was a sub from Jersey Mikes.  As we sat and ate, our conversation jumped from place to place all about twins.  It was the slowest we ever ate, because we couldn’t stop talking.  We discussed different combinations of names for boy/boy, girl/girl, or boy/girl twins.  I mentioned, “this would be so much easier if it was just one.”  Amy followed that up with, “we will be saying that our entire lives!”  So far, that has been an accurate statement.  I am sure other parents of multiples understand, as that is said, we would NEVER have it any other way.  

Amy and I really wanted to wait to tell our families until 12 weeks.  The pain of having a miscarriage is difficult enough, the last thing we would want to do is call our families and give bad news.  With Christmas just two weeks away, I made Christmas cards with ultra-sound pictures anyway.  This would only put us at 10 weeks, but Christmas was as perfect as a setup it could get.  We would tell our families at Christmas, then everyone else in January.  

Before we knew we were having twins, Amy bought two mini-stockings, one for each of our families.  She sewed “Baby Bowman” onto each of them.  After finding out their were two, we just decided to give both stockings to her mom on Christmas.  We decided it would be fun to give her one at a time, with different gifts in between.  In doing so, we were able to celebrate with her mom, brother, and sister the news of a baby.  Then, 10 minutes later when she opened the second stocking, we got to celebrate again with the news of twins! I gave each of my family members an old movie converted to DVD, and I placed the Christmas cards I made inside announcing the news!  My mom caught on quick, but when my dad opened it up, my sister had to help him figure it out! 



As you can imagine, it was an amazing Christmas.  Amy used the clips I filmed on my phone to mash into one video.  Once we were ready to announce it to the world, we both posted the video to our Facebook.  You will have to forgive some of the quality!


If you can't view video, watch it here:
click here for video

The first 7 months of pregnancy were a breeze! Things weren’t that different at home.  We did all the fun registering, baby showers, and getting ready. All gain, no pain. No, I am kidding! It was difficult as you can imagine, but more so for Amy than me.  I really don’t know what to say about Amy’s pregnancy other than I watched her belly grow bigger and bigger.  If anyone is going to write about the pregnancy months, it needs to be mommy.  Maybe Amy will offer to write a guest blog piece, wink wink!  I will give a little advice to the dads out there... Love your wives, care for them, keep them happy.  Again, what mommy wants, mommy gets.  I would also challenge you to man-up and do this all the time, but I need to take some of that advice as well.  


Summer break came for both of us, and with the babies due in July, we were just going to relax.  One week into break I had a three-day class to take with the rest of my co-workers,  and then I was free!  But on day two, I received one of the most frightening phone calls of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment